Tuesday 14 January 2014

How do you like dem coasters?

I made these coasters a while back to demonstrate that foilart can be used on mdf. You would know that already if you have seen us at one of the markets. Wow! It is by far one of my most popular products! Everyone asks about it. So I thought I would show you how I made it, step-by-step.
You will need: Laser cut mdf coasters, super tack glue pen, Dark pink confetti foil, Purple glitter foil, Turquoise sparkle foil and silver pinstripe foil, high gloss varnish or Pratley glo.
So when you start with your coaster it will look like this. I recommend taking a pencil and writing on it gently which parts you want which colours. It helps you get the colours evenly balanced and helps you remember which parts you wanted which colour.
 Next, fill in with the glue all the parts you want dark pink. Make sure you get glue right up to the edges. Leave it to go clear and tacky. Place your dark pink foil over and press firmly. Make sure you 'catch the sides'. Keep repeating this step with each colour. In this picture you can see I had foiled everything but the silver.
Last step, seal it. This is so important especially with a coaster. The foil is delicate and can get scratched easily. You don't want you work ruined when you have put so much effort into it.
There you have it. Look at that gorgeous sparkle and shine. If you would like to order these coasters plain or ready-made please e-mail me for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment